Piracy is not just carried out by outlaws on a get rich quick scheme on the high seas! Illegal pirating of software, whether deliberately or not, can have destructive and normally expensive repercussions for you and the business you run.
Many of us long to remain within the confines of the law, and not taking precautions against software piracy can lead to expensive legal fees and settlement fees as well and your business reputation can be seriously damaged.
Kind of Pirating Software
It can be easy for a business to unintentionally pirate software, which can prove disastrous. Below are some examples of software for pirating
- Buying one copy of a particular piece of software then downloading it onto various machines.
- Buying the inappropriate kind of license, for instance a personal or student license rather than a commercial license. (Terms and definitions might be different).
- Making downloads of copies of a part of software from the internet from a source which is not authorized.
- It is not just vital for your present licenses to be compatible to your requirements and usage, but it is also essential to make sure that your license is updated often to accommodate the changing needs of your business.
- If you incorporate or attain a new company, or just employing additional new staff, it is probable that your requirements for licensing will alter.
- Keeping updated with the changing requirements can assist you to avoid accidentally getting into piracy and getting on the wrong side of the law.
Be Careful of Fakes and Forgeries
- You might think that someone who downloads software illegally from the internet is completely conscious of their acts. However, this might not be necessarily true.
- Fraudsters might attempt to sell unauthorized copies of software via websites which appear amazingly authentic. If you intend to buy your license online, it is vital to ensure that you are getting your software from a legal source.
- Beware of offers of discount and examine the supplier’s contact details especially if you have a suspicion that things are not entirely genuine.
- Installing appropriate IT processes and keeping constant track of licensing agreements and comprehending the requirements laid out by law can be a vital step in maintaining your company’s reputation and your company’s money.
- At times, you may be called upon to carry out an audit on the software licenses which your business holds. Therefore, it is advisable to store records of your history of licenses to make this procedure simple to manage.
- Software licensing can prove to be a long process especially as your business begins to expand. A reputable and trustworthy IT service provider might be in a position to assist you with the procedure of software licensing, thereby assisting in the protection of your business against the dangers and repercussions brought by software piracy.
Every year, billions of dollars are lost because of software piracy. This figure is rising each year.
Therefore, in case you are a software developer, you need to guard against theft of your software.